Battles, Conflicts, and Names
I've been going over the battles in BA to create some pages that don't yet exist (e.g. Battle of Callisto). As I've looked around the wiki and been thinking about the timeline for the battles, it seems that a page devoted to a list laying out the various military related events would be beneficial. This would fulfill a similar niche as to the requested timeline page. However, I'm at a lost for some naming conventions
First, the names for the page is something I've been puzzling over. Here, we have battles, incidents (e.g. Eros), cold war(s?), a heist, and the destruction of two moons. Calling the page "Major Battles" was my first inclination, but not everything is a battle that would be relevant. I've been leaning towards "Major Conflicts and Crises", but am not sure if this would lend itself to searches nor does it sound quite right. Perhaps I'm overthinking this.
There's also the issue of classification. I've seen on some pages (e.g. The Donnager ) refer to the Eros Incident but include events leading up to it. From a certain perspective, this makes sense, but the term as I've seen it used by fans, by the in-universe characters, and by this wiki's page. I'm not advocating changing the meaning of the "Eros Incident", but there does seem to be a broader niche that needs to be filled. this is particularly the case for the events starting with the Ganymede Incident and Ending with the Battle of Io. These do seem to bookend an overall conflict. We also have events like the Interplanetary War which is an overarching term not used in the book and which also seems to have its own internal structure (such as what I would call the "Consolidated Fleet Offensive" which includes the many battles that gave cover for The Battle of Medina Station ), clearly filling a descriptive niche.
In short, my questions for the community are:
- An appropriate name for a list page identifying the major conflicts -- battles, cold wars, heists? I'm leaning towards Major Conflicts and Crises, but this feels imperfect to me.
- Are there already names in use for some of the conflicts that are depicted as a series of events in the books? Such as names for the arc from The Scopuli through the Eros incident, or from the Ganymede Incident through the Battle of Io. ("Caliban's War" seems like a good name for the latter, as it was for the novel, but then it confuses with the novel.)
- If not, should we apply a name to these arcs like we have done for the "Interplanetary War", and, if so, what should we pick? These must be highly descriptive and immediate understandable. I've already mentioned "The Consolidated Fleet Offensive" as a catch all for said offensive in the Interplanetary War, and seems a good example of a highly descriptive name that is immediately understandable. "Caliban's War" seems good for Ganymede through the Battle of Io, but would probably introduce confusion with the novel, Caliban's War, which we should of course avoid.
Some possible names for arcs/collective events:
- Capture of the Scopuli through the Eros Incident: End of the Cold War
- The Ganymede Incident through the Battle of Io: Earth-Mars War
- Capture of the Scopuli through the Battle of Io: The Protogen Conspiracy
- The Slow Zone Incident: The Slow Zone Inception and the Mutiny of the Behemoth
- Battle of Hygeia, Pallas, Callisto, Titan, etc.: The Consolidated Fleet Offensive
For the Slow Zone Incident, I'm suggesting identifying two incidents within the Slow Zone Incident istelf (not a renaming of the Slow Zone Incident).