The Armistice of New York City was an agreement between the governments of the United Nations and the Martian Congressional Republic to cease all hostilities and come to a resolve regarding the conflict on Ganymede.
|Sadavir Errinwright||Defence Minister Korshunov|
|Chrisjen Avasarala||Admiral J. Peñano|
|Admiral A. Nguyen||Special Envoy M. Cruz|
Terms and conditions Edit
Because the MCR assumed the blame for the start of the conflict both in orbit and on the surface of Ganymede, its government was contracted to pay for most of the damage:
- An armistice is a ceasing or a temporary suspension of mutual hostilities.
- The MCR will cover 61.5% of the cost regarding the repairing of orbital mirrors and agricultural domes.
- Where damage can be linked solely and undisputedly to UNN action, the cost shall be shared equally between the two parties.
- The MCR is forced to comply to these terms unless any modification is requested by the UN.
- The MCR assumes fault for the conflict.
- The MCR is allowed to govern Ganymede on a provisional basis.
- The MCRN is allowed to enforce no-fly restrictions in space near Ganymede.
- The MCR cedes control of the Ganymede fly-zone until the UN requests that the term be rescinded.
- Both the MCR and the UN will engage in humanitarian acts to help Ganymedean refugees.
- All ships, no matter their purpose , be they military or civilian, are to undergo severe inspections of cargo and its passengers.
- Caution shall be used by both governments regarding all Ganymede-related issues until the crisis passes.
- The armistice's terms are to take effect immediately after completion.
After the battle on Ganymede, the governments of the United Nations and the Martian Congressional Republic met in an emergency peace summit in New York City, Earth, to sign an armistice and define the conditions of their agreement to cease all hostilities, as an attempt to prevent full-scale war from breaking out.
The two governments negotiated over the period of several days, invoking Sgt. Draper to give her testimony as a direct witness of the conflict on the surface.
The summit ended rather abruptly, with Martian Gunnery Sergeant Roberta W. Draper effectively discontinuing her allegiance to the MCRN and requesting asylum on Earth, under the supervision of the United Nations. This was a cover for her true intentions of aligning herself with Undersecretary Avasarala and defecting to the UN.
Although the situation regarding Ganymede was largely resolved, tensions between the two superpowers remain, especially after the Earther discovery of Martian-Protogen joint project codenamed "Project Caliban", which sought the use of the protomolecule in conjunction with immuneless children for the creation of supersoldiers. The project was successful, but proved uncontrollable.