The Data Cube is a small form-factor lightweight data storage device
The Data Cube is used for secure data storage and sharing. The TV show prop used in these scenes resembles a memory card more than a literal "cube" per se. Both the books and the TV show refer to them as "data cubes" regardless of their actual physical form factor. The data cube doesn' t require physical contact to transfer data as it apparently incorporates wireless communication capabilities.
|Title||Chapter & Page||Carriers||Episode||Timestamp||Carriers|
|Donnager battle data||Leviathan Wakes||–||Capt. Theresa Yao||"CQB"||22:56||Capt. Theresa Yao|
|–||Lt. Kelly||22:59||Lt K. Lopez|
|Ch.15||Naomi Nagata||22:55||Donnager Sensor & Comms Officer|
|Ch.15||James Holden||"Rock Bottom"||32:57||Fred Johnson|
|Protogen Phoebe reports||–||Bizi Betiko|
|"Back to the Butcher"||42:08||Joe Miller|
|"Rock Bottom"||40:08||Captain Shaddid|
- Naomi recovered the data cube from Lieutenant Kelly's body
- Fred Johnson recovered the data cube from Lieutenant Lopez's armor
- Joe Miller finds scattered "data cubes" strewn all over the workshop of "Bizi Betiko", AKA "Sherpa", the data broker that Julie Mao used
- Joe Miller recovered the data cube from a robotic rodent in Julie Mao's room
- In the TV show, Fred Johnson took the data from Lopez unbeknownst to the Canterbury/Donnager survivors but in the book, the data was a bargaining chip in brokering their independence to leave Tycho and investigate freely.
- In the books, Miller did not use data cube from Julie Mao to uncover the Scopuli connection. He instead looked for patterns in shipping routes and flight plans.