The Outer Planets Alliance (OPA) is a loosely affiliated network borrowing or associating under a core common ideology that started its life as a labor union or advocacy group, fighting for the interests of inhabitants of the Belt, often in direct conflict with the inner planets' Earth-Mars Coalition Navy. Its logo is a split circle and distinct factions have cells based at every station in the Belt including two major sites Tycho Station and Ceres Station.
The OPA is described as either a sociopolitical movement, according to people sympathizing with Belters, or a terrorist network, according to the inner planets. Because of its decentralized structure and the range of activities by groups claiming affiliation, both descriptions have more than a little basis in fact. The statement that it's decentralized negates the assertion that it has a headquarters.
Eros Incident Edit
While the OPA consists of various cells and associated movements, such as the student group Far Horizons Foundation, by the time Leviathan Wakes takes place, Fred Johnson has attempted to organize those he holds influence with into a provisional government and retain the chief administrative position.
A group of about one hundred soldiers under the command of Fred Johnson, with the help of the crew of the Rocinante and Miller, are able to take over Thoth Station, the managing station for the Eros Project.
Later, in an attempt to give Miller more time to convince the protomolecule-infected Julie Mao to drive Eros into Venus, Jim Holden has Fred reroute the UN nuclear missiles headed for Eros, and then store them after the crises is over.After the events of the Eros incident, Fred Johnson, representing the OPA gave a speech at the peace conference on Ceres. Fred Johnson converts the Nauvoo generation ship into the Behemoth as the OPA's battleship and sends it into the flotilla to join the investigation of the ring. Taking advantage of the growing frustration among the Belter population and using his access to the military resources he barters with Winston Duarte to retain, Marco Inaros is able to influence many powerful OPA faction leaders to join him in the Free Navy. As the war continues, those leaders become disillusioned by his constantly changing promises. After the events of Babylon's Ashes and leading into Persepolis Rising, the OPA evolved and gave way for the Transport Union as part of the settlement of affairs following the war; however, when Laconia's Imperial Navy came to take control, the various factions re-emerged especially the most violent ones. Many of the varied OPA factions managed to unite under Saba's leadership in order to escape Medina
Known OPA members Edit
- Fred Johnson Books • TV, de facto leader (of some OPA and recognized by many outsiders as a leader however the recognition isn't universal nor unchallenged)
- Julie Mao Books • TV, Far Horizons Foundation
- Anderson Dawes Books • TV, Ceres Station liaison
- Diogo Books • TV, soldier
- Marco Inaros Books • TV - militant, leader of the Free Navy
Independent contractors Edit
- The Rocinante
"There's OPA and there's OPA"
Although recognized by the general populace and media of Earth and Mars as a cohesive group, the OPA contains many groups and factions, all on varying points on the political spectrum.
Fred Johnson represents the largest faction, achieving a form of legitimate recognition by the United Nations and Martian Republic.
A violent terrorist-like faction is called Black Sky.
Known factions Edit
- Ceres Station OPA - led by Anderson Dawes Books • TV
- Tycho Station OPA - led by Fred Johnson Books • TV
- Voltaire Collective - "ideological provocateurs", led by Rosenfeld Guoliang
- Golden Bough - "openly criminal"
- Maruttuva Kulu - "nonviolent near-collaborationist"
- Black Sky - terrorists?
- Tres Copains
- Union OPA
Cults of Personality
- Fred Johnson
- Anderson Dawes
- Michio Pa
- Marco Inaros
- A similar contemporary to the OPA might be the Irish Republican Army. There are factions that believed in a independent and Irish free state through armed struggle (Old IRA, or Real IRA), and others that believe it can be achieved through political means, like the Provisional IRA, or Sinn Fein (Gaelic for "ourselves" or "we ourselves"), oriented around Marxist or leftist ideology.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "The Expanse: 'Babylon's Ashes'", Ch. 1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 "The Expanse: Babylon's Ashes'", Ch. 2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 "The Expanse: Babylon's Ashes", Ch. 21
- ↑ "The Expanse: Babylon's Ashes'", Ch. 2
- ↑ "The Expanse: Babylon's Ashes", Ch. 18
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The ExpanseSeason 2"The Seventh Man"